Friday, April 22, 2011

Substantialiscious

Last week I went to pick up my mail from the faculty lounge, and I found a snickers bar and a note in my mailbox. The back of the snickers bar read "substantialiscious" and the note said:


The young woman who wrote it is a student from my very first year of teaching here, and she'll graduate next May (2012).  I haven't had her in class for several years, but every time I see her on campus, we talk about life and love and randomness.  She is a bright, beautiful, vivacious young woman who loves the Lord, and I am immensely touched that she took the time to encourage me.  Christ's love is so evident in her life.  

I'm so blessed. 

I am turning thirty-three in less than six weeks.  There are many "jobs" I thought I'd be doing at this point in my life.  Driving carpool, tucking children into bed, nursing boo-boo's, making sure my husband felt loved and respected -- if you'd asked me ten years ago what job I'd have at thirty-three, those are the ones I saw for myself. 

And yet...

God knew better.  Philippians 4:19.  He is meeting ALL of my needs according to the glorious riches I have in Christ Jesus. 

So this "job" teaching college students -- a job where I am welcomed into minds and hearts so freely; a job where I spend as much time listening and praying with students as I do lecturing and "teaching" them; a job where I can SEE God moving in individuals and changing lives -- obviously, this job is no job at all.  It is the Best.  The Best way to spend my time.  The Best way to spend my life. 
 
Esther 4:14.  For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?

Italics mine :)  As are these students, these years, and this season of my life.  Mine.  By the gracious lovingkindness of a God who sees the depth of my heart and loves me the same.   

I am deliciously -- no, substantialisciously -- blessed :)


No comments:

Post a Comment