Friday, September 23, 2011

Finished

I finished listening to Miller's A Million Miles in a Thousand Years today.  I was moved to tears many, many times.  I highly recommend it.  I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate it into my Intro to Literature course; I think my college students would love it, too.

"Here’s the truth about telling stories with your life.  It’s going to sound like a great idea, and you are going to get excited about it, and then when it comes time to do the work, you’re not going to want to do it.  It’s like that with writing books, and it’s like that with life.  People love to have lived a great story, but few people like the work it takes to make it happen...


...We have to get up off the couch and turn the television off, we have to blow up the inner-tubes and head to the river. We have to write the poem and deliver it in person. We have to pull the car off the road and hike to the top of the hill. We have to put on our suits, we have to dance at weddings."

No comments:

Post a Comment