Friday, December 31, 2010

Tolkien at Year's End...

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
-- J.R.R. Tolkien

The last day of the old year.  A time for reflection and resolution...

Spent some time with someone a few nights ago and was reminded of the wonderful gift it is to be friends with a person who can always answer the question, "so what are you reading?"  So few people read nowadays, and finding a Tolkien lover is an added friendship bonus :)  Our bookish convo reminded me that winter is possibly the best season for enjoying tales of hobbits and elves and kings, so I am taking my Tolkien down from the shelf and revisiting those old friends...

I am praying that my relationship with the Lord in 2011 will be one of renewal and restoration -- I am trusting that some of the "frost" of the past year has not damaged the deepest roots of who I am in Christ.  Currently, I'm reading 1 John.  Five chapters.  Immense truth.  This year, I want to rediscover my King :)

Happy New Year, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment