Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Million Miles ... on the Elliptical

"If you have never said "Excuse me" to a parking meter or bashed your shins on a fireplug, you are probably wasting too much valuable reading time."  ~Sherri Chasin Calvo


Last night, I took my new audio-book-uploaded-to-my-ipod to the gym.  More specifically, I strapped that shuffle to my t-shirt (thanks, Dad and Mom, for that gem of a gift) and spent the most enjoyable time I have EVER had at the gym listening to the first six chapters of Donald Miller's


I think I might have just discovered how this word-nerd can enjoy cardio.  Because audio-book-ing-while-cardio-ing was exactly, and I mean EXACTLY, what I needed to get me re-excited about the gym.  I'm always wanting to read nonfiction, but I don't really enjoy physically sitting down with it as much as I relish settling in with a new novel.  However, listening to Donald Miller read his stories while I beast away on the elliptical? -- well, I can do THAT with no complaints.  

Donald Miller is a gifted writer and the book, so far, is fantastic for someone who loves writers, storytelling and stories as much as I do :)  Or, as my friend said, "it's a book about a movie that's about a book!" and really, what's not to love about that?  The only downside to the audio book so far?  I can't highlight quote-worthy passages.  And in a Miller book, there are plenty of passages to earmark.  



  



No comments:

Post a Comment