Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Classical Music and French Fries

Today is a classical music kind of day.  I'm in my office, fluorescent lights aflame and waterandrock display trickling away, and I'm indulging in the classical mix on my ipod.  Currently, "Nessun Dorma" is playing and I can't decide if I feel like crying or rapturously running out into the sunshine :)  Haha :) 

My mind struggles with giving things to the Lord.  Wow.  I actually wrote that sentence.  I don't know if it's an inherent flesh issue of always wanting to control things, or if it's a lack of gratefulness and trust -- but I tend to worry and worry and mull and ponder and pontificate and think and wonder and worry and worry and worry.  And worrying doesn't add a single day to my life.  In fact, I have tweezers that regularly pluck out and discard the gray proof of all my worrying; my bathroom floor is littered with said "proof," haha. 

I justify my worrying by saying that I'm worrying about someone, or because someone else's situation is just too difficult for me to imagine -- but honestly, aren't those the people/issues needing to be laid before the Lord more than any others?  What kind of pride and arrogance does it take to believe that my anxiety will result in anything good?  It won't.  I'm not trusting God, and that's not bringing Him glory. 

There are things I cannot change, and there are things I can.  Ironically, I spend a lot of my time worrying over the things I cannot change, and stuffing my face or sitting on my butt when I should be changing what I CAN.  Prayer changes situations, people, issues.  My worrying does not. 

God reminded me of I Corinthians 10:13 this morning...

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. (New International Version)

and -- look at this -- the New Living Translation just hit home for me...

The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will  show you a way out so that you can endure. (New Living Translation)

Here is truth as I perceive it today:


Life is tough, unfair and difficult.
God is faithful.

God is faithful.

God is faithful.

And He loves people with a love I could only HOPE to pathetically mimic.  Why not trust Him with their hearts?  Their decisions?  Their lives and hopes?  He is faithful.  I need to worry less.  Trust more.

Oh, and eat less french fries :) ('cuz that's one thing I CAN control that will make my life better)

No comments:

Post a Comment